Current:Home > reviewsPope accepts resignation of bishop of Polish diocese where gay orgy scandal under investigation -ForexStream
Pope accepts resignation of bishop of Polish diocese where gay orgy scandal under investigation
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 00:08:11
ROME (AP) — The pope on Tuesday accepted the resignation of a Polish bishop whose diocese has been rocked for weeks by reports of a gay orgy involving a male prostitute in a priest’s apartment.
The Vatican didn’t give a reason for why Bishop Grzegorz Kaszak was resigning as head of the diocese of Sosnowiec, in southwestern Poland. At 59, he is several years shy of the normal retirement age of 75.
But his diocese has been in the spotlight for over a month after one of his priests was placed under criminal investigation for having allegedly organized a gay orgy at his apartment in Dabrowa Gornicza. Polish media reported that a male prostitute collapsed after overdosing on erectile dysfunction pills.
A prosecutor said the priest is suspected of “failing to provide assistance to a person whose life is at risk,” for having allegedly tried to bar police and paramedics from entering the apartment.
Three weeks after the scandal erupted, Kaszak issued a statement calling for priests in the diocese to penance and urging prayers for “hurting and ashamed priests.” But he also made clear that the priest involved in the scandal would be punished by the church if convicted because “there is no consent to moral evil.”
“Anyone found guilty will be punished according to canon law, regardless of the verdict of the civil court. And I am very sorry to all those who were affected and very saddened or even scandalized by the situation in Dabrowa Gornicza,” he wrote on Sept. 23.
It wasn’t immediately clear if Kaszak offered to resign or was pressured to step down. Still, the speed with which Francis removed him was unusual. Kaszak had been appointed bishop in 2009, after having served briefly as the No. 2 in the Vatican’s family office.
The priest in question has not been charged. Polish daily Rzeczpospolita quoted a statement he issued soon after the scandal erupted, denying he had prevented paramedics from accessing his apartment and questioning the definition of “orgy.”
“I perceive this as an obvious strike against the church, including the clergy and the faithful, in order to humiliate its position, tasks and mission,” the priest was quoted as saying.
The Polish Catholic Church has been rocked for several years by allegations of sexual abuse of minors involving the clergy, scandals that have led to the forced resignations of several bishops and tarnished the church’s reputation in the homeland of St. John Paul II.
The Vatican embassy in Poland said a temporary administrator, Archbishop Adrian Galbas of Katowice, would run the diocese of Sosnowiec until a new bishop is named.
———
Gera contributed from Warsaw.
veryGood! (67)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Protesters stage sit-in at New York Times headquarters to call for cease-fire in Gaza
- Nicki Minaj talks marriage trials, how motherhood brought her out of retirement in Vogue cover
- 'She's that good': Caitlin Clark drops 44 as No. 3 Iowa takes down No. 5 Virginia Tech
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- New Mexico energy regulator who led crackdown on methane pollution is leaving her post
- Iranian-born Norwegian man is charged over deadly Oslo Pride attack in 2022
- Fran Drescher tells NPR the breakthrough moment that ended the Hollywood strikes
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- As a DJ, village priest in Portugal cues up faith and electronic dance music for global youth
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Alabama sets date to attempt nation's first nitrogen gas execution of death row inmate
- Horoscopes Today, November 9, 2023
- Manny Machado digs in at groundbreaking for San Diego FC’s training complex and academy
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Police investigate vandalism at US Rep. Monica De La Cruz’s Texas office over Israel-Hamas war
- Nevada men's basketball coach Steve Alford hates arena bats, Wolf Pack players embrace them
- NATO member Romania pushes to buy 54 Abrams battle tanks from US
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Keke Palmer Files for Custody of Her and Darius Jackson's Baby Boy
52 years after he sent it home from Vietnam, this veteran was reunited with his box of medals and mementos
Former top prosecutor for Baltimore convicted in perjury case tied to purchase of Florida homes
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Pakistan is planting lots of mangrove forests. So why are some upset?
Iranian-born Norwegian man is charged over deadly Oslo Pride attack in 2022
Melissa Rivers Reveals How Fiancé Steve Mitchel Asked Her Son Cooper's Permission Before Proposing